Car explosion in Massachusetts caused by remote car key

Raquel Erhard – Fourth Estate Cooperative Contributor

Stoneham, MA, United States (4E) – Authorities said that the car explosion that occurred Sunday afternoon in a store’s parking lot in Stoneham, Massachusetts was caused by a remote starter that ignited vapors from plumbing equipment stored in the car by its owner.

According to Massachusetts State Police, the incident that happened at the parking lot of BJ’s Wholesale Club along Cedar Street store around 4 p.m. has damaged several other vehicles in the parking lot but nobody was hurt.

WHDH reported that the car’s owner, Jackie Sugrue, said “I unlocked my car. I popped my trunk then my car exploded all over the parking lot.”

She added that she saw her trunk went flying over this whole row of cars and was thankful that no one got hurt.

State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan said that the explosion was triggered when the remote starter key was hit.

Police, a bomb squad and fire fighters arrived at the scene.

Article © AHN – All Rights Reserved
About the Author

Leave a Reply