South Carolina house fire killed small dog, displaced family of ten

Raquel Erhard – Fourth Estate Cooperative Contributor

Beaufort, SC, United States (4E) – A fire that engulfed the house of a family of 10 in Beaufort, South Carolina Sunday morning has also killed their small dog.

According to Beaufort fire officials, four people who were home when the blaze started were able to escape unhurt but their small dog died from smoke inhalation.

At least10 people lived in the residence, seven of them children.

Officials told WTOC that the pup was found dead inside the home curled up in a clothes basket.

Firefighters who responded to the incident along Newcastle Street around 3:50 a.m. observed the attic of the home on fire, with flames coming through the roof.

Deputy Chief Clay Scoggins of the Beaufort-Port Royal Fire Department said the fire started when a branch of a tree hit a nearby power line that knocked out power.

Someone attempted to restart the breaker before smoke came out behind a wall where the electrical panel is located, reports stated.

He added the immediate response of the firefighters managed to stop the flames from jumping to a nearby home.

The fire ruined 50 percent of the home’s attic and roof, and caused smoke damage throughout the house.

Article © AHN – All Rights Reserved
About the Author

Leave a Reply