Melbourne, FL, United States (4E) – A gas leak that caused a possible rupture in a Melbourne, Florida pasture land Wednesday morning has been contained and the incident is being investigated.
According to Brevard County Fire-Rescue officials, reports were received about a possible explosion followed by a loud noise at 5:30 a.m. by Brandywine subdivision residents near U.S. 192 and Simon Road, just west of Interstate 95.
Deputies said the cap or valve of a natural gas transmission line that failed resulted to the explosive sound.
Nearby residents have been evacuated as a precaution and a hazardous materials team arrived to investigate the area. Nobody was reported injured.
Officials revealed a repair crew isolated and contained the gas leak.
A Brevard County Fire Rescue spokesperson reported through Twitter feed that “Natural gas is lighter than air and rises into the atmosphere. Crews standing by in the unlikely event of a fire.”
Simon Road remained closed but Interstate 95 and U.S. 192 were not affected by the incident.