Caracas, Venezuela (4E) – Vice President Nicolas Maduro on Wednesday assured that Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez would sworn-in for a new term on January 10 as planned, as he is recovering well from recent cancer surgery in Cuba.
“Right now, we are focused on praying and maintaining our faith … so that our commander in chief and president can fulfill his sacred duty of being sworn in for a new term on Jan. 10,” the vice president said.
Talking to reporters, National Assembly President Diosdado Cabello said that there could be change in the inauguration date if Chavez’s health deteriorates.
The opposition took no time in criticizing Cabello for violating the Constitution, which clearly states that the country must call the elections within 30 days once the president becomes incapacitated. The ruling Socialist Party is fooling everyone with succession rules to accommodate Chavez’s recovery, the politicians said.
The 58-year-old anti-American president was diagnosed with cancer nearly two years ago for which he claimed to have successful surgeries.
In October, he claimed huge victory, grabbing 55 percent of the vote and was set to begin his third six-year term on January 10. Suddenly afterwards, his cancer apparently reappeared and he underwent fourth round of surgery to remove cancer in Cuban capital Havana earlier this month.
As a precautionary move, he named vice president Maduro as his successor in case he becomes incapacitated and also urged countrymen to vote for him as president in adverse circumstances.