Wakefield, MA, United States (4E) – A 49-year-old man from Wakefield, Massachusetts has pleaded not guilty Wednesday morning to around 100 counts of child sexual abuse charges filed against him.
Officials said John Burbine is facing 100 charges that include:
- 40 counts of aggravated forcible rape of child, subsequent offense;
- 17 counts of aggravated indecent assault and battery on a child, subsequent offense;
- 12 counts of posing a child in a state of nudity;
- 11 counts of posing a child in sexual conduct;
- 13 counts of possession of child pornography;
- 2 counts of dissemination of material harmful to a minor and
- operating an unlicensed child care program.
Court documents stated Burbine allegedly raped and sexually assaulted boys and girls who were under his care. Several victims were reportedly abused multiple times over several months or years, from August 2010 through August 2012.
Burbine, who was arrested in September, would sometimes arrive to babysit children, substituting for his 46-year-old wife, Marian, who was hired by the family, telling them that his wife was not feeling well.
Investigators claimed Burbine’s victims are children between 8 days to 3 1/2 years old.
Middlesex County District Attorney Gerald Leone said the maltreatment occurred in the victims’ homes after Burbine and his wife, Marian, advertised child care and tutoring services on different websites.
Investigators also discovered illicit images and videos of the young victims in Burbine’s computer.
Marian, who is under house arrest, has been indicted on six counts of reckless endangerment of a child and two counts of operating an unlicensed day care business.
She will return to court on Dec. 20.
Burbine is being held without bail for 90 days, after which he will be held on $1 million bail. He is set to return to court on January 15.
In 1989, Burbine was convicted of three counts of indecent assault and battery on a child under the age of 14.