Oakland, CA, United States (4E Sports) – The Oakland Raiders are expected to give linebacker Rolando McClain his release papers Thursday, a day after he was held out of practice due to an undisclosed team-related issue.
A source said the team has already told McClain that he will be released.
Raiders coach Dennis Allen refused to give more information about why McClain was held out of Wednesday’s practice.
Later, McClain posted “Officially no longer an Oakland Raider!!” on his alleged Facebook wall.
Then, he posted a clarification, saying “Well technically I am. But I’m mentally done. Just waiting on my papers.” Hours later, the thread was erased.
If McClain will be given his release papers, he will be the McClain 27th player that new general manager Reggie McKenzie has erased from the roster since last year’s Week 17 loss to the San Diego Chargers.
McClain has struggled under Oakland’s new coaching staff and saw his playing time sharply reduced in recent weeks. McClain’s best year with the Raiders came in 2011, when he registered 99 tackles and five sacks.
He is due to have a salary cap number of $6.675 million in 2013, $8.475 million in 2014 and $5.085 million in 2015.
Omar Gaither is expected to replace McClain in the lineup. He was a fifth-round pick of the Eagles in 2006 and spent this year’s training camp with the Texans, but never made it to their 53-man roster.
The Raiders will be Gaither’s third team in his six year career. The Tennessee alumnus played his first five seasons for the Eagles and saw action for the Panthers last year, playing in 10 games and recording 31 total tackles.