Pennsylvania boy critically hurt in backyard explosion

Raquel Erhard – Fourth Estate Cooperative Contributor

Caraopolis, PA, United States (4E) – A 12-year-old boy, who was burned severely, remained in the hospital Tuesday after an explosion that also wounded two other boys in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania occurred Monday afternoon.

Georgette Brown said her son, Peyton, was in a medically induced coma at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Mercy Hospital after he and his friends used gasoline on a bonfire.

The Coraopolis Fire Department revealed the plastic gas can exploded when the boys poured the liquid on the flames.

According to the mother, after hearing an explosion, she rushed in the backyard and saw her son on fire.

Relatives and a Columbia Gas crew who was nearby quickly assisted in extinguishing the blaze.

Peyton Brown suffered burns on 40 percent of his body, including his arms and chest, said officials.

Georgette Brown added Peyton will undergo more surgery later this week. He is expected to recover.

Two other boys, who were treated for burns at the hospital, have been released. A fourth boy was not hurt.

Firefighters said the boys could face charges depending on the investigation’s result.

Article © AHN – All Rights Reserved
About the Author

Leave a Reply