UFC champ Anderson Silva takes a break, to return late 2013
Curitiba, Brazil (4E Sports) – Middleweight champion Anderson Silva announced that he will take an extended vacation and return to the octagon in late 2013, putting the planned mega-fight between him and welterweight titlist Georges St.-Pierre in jeopardy.
“I’m on vacation from fighting,” Silva told Brazil-based web site Tatame. “I (will) just come back at the end of next year.”
The champion is planning to use his time away from the UFC to participate in a movie and focus on business matters.
St-Pierre returns to action for the first time in more than a year Saturday night against interim titleholder Carlos Condit at UFC 154 in Montreal.
UFC president Dana White hinted earlier that if St.-Pierre wins, a mega-fight with Silva will be arranged and it could take place at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
Silva said he will be attendance at Bell Centre for UFC 154 but will not enter the Octagon to challenge St-Pierre should the champion retain his belt.
“It is not my character to challenge anyone,” Silva said. “It will not happen. I’m sure.”
Silva recently scored a first-round knockout of Stephan Bonnar in a light heavyweight fight to improve to 33-4. He also defeated Chael Sonnen via second-round TKO in July during a highly anticipated rematch.
Meanwhile, middleweight contender Michael Bisping took to Twitter and asked White to make his fight with Vitor Belfort an interim title bout while Silva is on vacation.
Bisping and Belfort, a former UFC light heavyweight champion, are scheduled to fight Jan. 19.