Three hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning in Maryland
Baltimore, MD, United States (4E) – Three people from North Laurel, Maryland have been taken to the hospital Tuesday morning with carbon monoxide poisoning, caused by a generator running inside their house.
Authorities reported that Howard County Fire crews and paramedics found a man and two women inside the home in Brevard Street after responding to a 911 call which was made by one of the women. The victims suffered elevated levels of carbon monoxide.
According to a spokesman from the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services, the three were transported to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore. The two females have been released on Tuesday morning but the male, who was in critical condition, remained in the hospital for further treatment.
The spokesman confirmed that all three patients underwent therapy in the hyperbaric chamber at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center. The male patient is scheduled to receive another hyperbaric therapy.
Police said the firefighters discovered a generator operating at the bottom of the stairs on the ground level of the residence. It was placed in a doorway leading to the garage, but the garage door was closed, restricting ventilation.
Firefighters later confirmed that the amount of carbon monoxide inside the house was 30 times more than the normal level.
An equipment, which the firefighters called a gas badge, immediately alerted them of the danger upon entering the home. Using the gear decreases their own risk of carbon monoxide exposure which could enable them to easily identify the problem.
Due to the incident, the Howard County Fire and Rescue Department is reminding county residents not to operate a generator inside a home.