STATE COLLEGE – PennDOT’s work to improve safety and ease traffic congestion continues on State Route 3018, Whitehall Road/University Drive, in State College. The three-mile project stretches from Route 26 to Atherton Street.
This PennDOT job is a separate and different project than Ferguson Township’s Whitehall Road project. Once PennDOT’s work is complete in the fall of 2013, travel along Route 3018 will be smoother, less congested and more efficient.
Activity the week of Oct. 15 will include:
- Waterline relocation work continues from West College Avenue to Blue Course Drive.
- Pipe and inlet placement continues from Research Drive to Waupelani Drive.
- Grading, sub-base placement and under-drain placement continues from Research Drive to Waupelani Drive.
- Excavation and embankment placement continues from Research Drive to Waupelani Drive.
- Shoulder back-up work continues from Campbell Road to Atherton Street.
Motorists need to be alert for construction vehicles entering and exiting construction areas. Motorists should be aware that traffic may be controlled by flaggers at various locations through the project area between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
PennDOT reminds motorists that bicyclists are known to be in the area. Motorists are asked to please use caution when driving near bicyclists, and to share the road and remain alert for bicyclists entering and using the highway. Motorists also need to be alert for pedestrians crossing the roadway.
Overall work includes roadway-widening, addition of a center left turn lane, addition of marked bicycle lanes, new traffic signals, drainage improvements, water line relocation and roadway paving. All work is weather and schedule dependent. HRI Inc. of State College is the contractor on this $10.3 million project.
Follow PennDOT on Twitter at www.twitter.com/511PAStateCOLL.