Kentucky’s University of Louisville to close freshman dorm due to mold
Louisville, KY, United States (4E) – Kentucky’s University of Louisville announced the closure of a freshman residence hall because inspection revealed high levels of mold spores in the building, other dorms are also being checked.
University officials said that the 270 affected students of the Miller Hall will be relocated by 6 p.m. on October 14 to vacant rooms in university affiliated housing or hotel rooms near the campus while those who are from the Louisville area are requested to voluntarily go back home as the dorm will remain close until the fall semester.
The Department of Environmental Health and Safety started inspection of the building after receiving complaints from students in late September and they discovered aspergillus and penicillium molds, which are said to be common in the environment.
Those types of mold spores are not harmful to health at normal levels but could irritate those with allergies, asthma or mold sensitivity issues.
Dr. Phillip Bressoud, Director of Student Health at the university said that there are no indications of any illnesses directly related to this at this time.
Other dorms examined showed small amounts, compared to the high level in Miller Hall which prompted university authorities to move all students until the building is cleaned and the mold source found and removed.
There are still other dorms being examined and more air quality tests being done, university officials claimed it would take a few days and focus will be on those affected buildings.