A California teen dies after imitating ‘pass out’ game on YouTube
Chula Vista, CA, United States (4E) – A 15-year-old California teen died after playing the pass out game from YouTube, falling onto a drinking glass and slashing his neck on Wednesday night.
Chula Vista Police Captain Gary Wedge reported that David Nuno followed the instructions in the video, lost consciousness, fell and landed on a drinking glass on the floor. The glass shattered and punctured the boy’s neck.
Police said that the boy’s friends, who were with him in his bedroom, immediately turned his motionless body over. Nuno came to and staggered down the stairs for help but later collapsed on a landing.
His father, who was at home, held a towel over the wound until paramedics arrived, but the neck injury was too deep and he was bleeding profusely. The boy was rushed to Rady Children’s Hospita but did not survive.
Medical examiner’s report stated that David died from multiple lacerations and sharp force injuries to his neck. Nuno celebrated his 15th birthday on September 16.
Psychiatrist Daniel Cowell, who studied the phenomenon, said that parents and children should know that the ‘pass out’ game is dangerous because it already caused the death of several teenagers in recent years.
Teenagers deprive themselves of oxygen in the pass out game, until they lose consciousness and fall. The experience produces a woozy and sometimes addictive high.
In 2010, two teenage girls died in the Chicago area after attaching cord to their necks to deprive themselves of oxygen, but because they played the game on their own, they hung themselves to death instead.