PSU Search Launched for Executive Vice President and Provost
Penn State has launched a nationwide search for the position of executive vice president and provost. Penn State President Rodney Erickson previously served in this position, and the position has been held on an interim basis since November 2011 by Robert Pangborn.
“As a leading public research university, we plan to attract a strong field of candidates. The executive vice president and provost will have leadership responsibility to continue our trajectory of world-class academic achievements through a broad understanding of and experience in higher education and the ability to help set priorities for the University’s future,” Erickson said.
Evan Pugh Professor Mary Jane Irwin, the A. Robert Noll chair of Engineering in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, will chair a 17-member search advisory committee, with assistance by executive search firm Isaacson, Miller.
The executive vice president and provost is the University’s chief academic officer and reports directly to the president, serving as chief executive officer in the president’s absence.
The new executive vice president and provost will possess the following experiences and qualities: an earned doctorate or equivalent; an outstanding record in research and education commensurate with the appointment to the rank of full professor with tenure; and excellence in academic and administrative leadership at the level of dean, provost, and/or other senior administrative position of a major university. The candidate should have excellent interpersonal and communication skills; a strong, proven commitment to diversity and globalization; and the ability to work effectively with administrators, faculty, students, staff, alumni and other constituencies.
Applications and nominations, including a C.V. and cover letter, should be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries can be directed to Michael Baer, Vice President, or Amy Segal, Associate, at Isaacson, Miller, 1300 19th Street, NW, Suite 700, Washington, D.C. 20036. Phone: 202-682-1504. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Final candidate(s) for the position will be required to complete a full background check process including criminal, child abuse, credit, education, employment and motor vehicle verifications, as appropriate.
Members of the search committee are:
– Collins O. Airhihenbuwa, professor and head of the Department of Biobehavioral Health in the College of Health and Human Development;
– Marianne E. Alexander, president emerita of the Public Leadership Network and member of the Board of Trustees;
– Douglas A. Anderson, dean of the College of Communications;
– Donald L. Birx, chancellor of Penn State Erie, the Behrend College;
– Barbara J. Christ, senior associate dean of the College of Agricultural Sciences;
– Yvonne Gaudelius, assistant vice president and associate dean in the Office of Undergraduate Education;
– Donald M. Hambrick, Evan Pugh Professor and Smeal Chaired Professor of Management in the Smeal College of Business;
– Madlyn Hanes, vice president for commonwealth campuses;
– Mary Jane Irwin, Evan Pugh Professor and the A. Robert Noll chair of Engineering in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering (committee chair);
– W. Terrell Jones, vice provost for Educational Equity;
– Kevin M. Morooney, vice provost for Information Technology;
– Daniel Notterman, vice dean for research and graduate studies at the Penn State Hershey College of Medicine;
– Thomas G. Poole, vice president for administration;
– Regina Vasilatos-Younken, senior associate dean of the Graduate School;
– Susan Welch, dean of the College of the Liberal Arts;
– Brent Yarnal, 2012-13 chair of the University Faculty Senate and professor of geography in the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences; and
– John Zang, undergraduate student and chief of staff for the University Park Undergraduate Association.