STATE COLLEGE – PennDOT’s improvements to safety and ease traffic congestion will continue on state Route 3018, Whitehall Road/University Drive, in State College. The three-mile project stretches from Route 26 to Atherton Street.
This PennDOT job is a separate and different project than Ferguson Township’s Whitehall Road project. Once PennDOT’s work is complete in the fall of 2013, travel along Route 3018 will be smoother, less congested and more efficient.
Activity the week of Sept. 3 will include:
- There will not be any work Monday, Sept. 3 in observance of the Labor Day Holiday.
- Waterline relocation work from the Blue Course Drive intersection to the Waupelani Drive intersection.
- Pipe and inlet placement from the Research Drive intersection to the Blue Course Drive intersection.
- Grading, sub-base placement and under-drain placement from the Stonebridge Drive intersection to the Blue Course Drive intersection.
- Excavation and embankment placement from the Research Drive intersection to the Blue Course Drive intersection.
- Traffic signal work at the Atherton Street intersection.
Drivers need to be alert for construction vehicles entering and exiting construction areas.
Drivers should be aware that traffic may be controlled by flaggers at various locations through the project area between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
PennDOT reminds motorists that bicyclists are known to be in the area. Motorists are asked to please use caution when driving near bicyclists, and to share the road and remain alert for bicyclists entering and using the highway. Drivers also need to be alert for pedestrians crossing the roadway.
Overall work includes roadway-widening, addition of a center left turn lane, addition of marked bicycle lanes, new traffic signals, drainage improvements, water line relocation and roadway paving. All work is weather and schedule dependent. HRI Inc. of State College is the contractor on this $10.3 million project.
Follow PennDOT on Twitter at www.twitter.com/511PAStateCOLL.