Ohio State removes football scholarships from Stoneburner, Mewhort
Columbus, OH, United States (AHN Sports) – Ohio State tight end Jake Stoneburner and offensive tackle Jack Mewhort may have settled their legal woes but they have more problems ahead of them.
Buckeyes’ head coach Urban Meyer Saturday removed the two projected starters for the 2012 season from athletic scholarships as punishment for their legal infraction.
“We are disappointed with the decisions made recently by two of our football players,” Meyer said. “Jake Stoneburner and Jack Mewhort will each be removed from athletic scholarship beginning with the summer term, and they will continue to be suspended from team activities until stipulations are successfully met.”
But Meyer said both seniors who were starters last season can work to regain their scholarships back and their places on the team after the summer.
“They will have an opportunity to return to the team in good standing following the summer session,” he added.
Before that happens, the two will have to pay for their own tuition fee as they try to regain their places in the Buckeyes’ lineup.
Stoneburner and Mewhort players had been charged with obstructing official business after police in Delaware, Ohio, said they were urinating on a building and fled when confronted by officers. Meyer had the two suspended indefinitely after the incident.
They pleaded guilty Friday to a lesser charge of disorderly conduct with the Delaware Municipal Court with a fine and court costs of $299.
According to Ohio State, both Stoneburner and Mewhort will be allowed to work out at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center, but they will not be working out with any other Buckeyes.
Stoneburner was listed at the top of Meyer’s first depth chart of the 2012 season. Last year, he caught 14 passes for 193 yards and scored seven touchdowns. He has caught 37 passes in his first three years at Ohio State.
Meanwhile, Meyer sees Mewhort as his starting left tackle this season.