Sandy Township Holds Second CDBG Hearing
Sandy Township held its second CDBG public hearing Monday night, but held the stipulation that the plans based on CDBG funding may drastically change.
It was stated at the public hearing that the funding for the Community Development Block Grant ultimately is traced back to the federal government. The United States House of Representatives has voted to reduce funding by 65 percent for this year. The United States Senate is still researching the issue. The Department of Community and Economic Development had advised the township to continue with the hearing as it had already been scheduled, but had also suggested holding off on the second hearing if possible due to uncertain status of the grant monies.
A 65 percent reduction in funding would change funding of $205 thousand to that of $78 thousand. How drastic the reduction of the CDBG program will change what the township will do with the money. The original plan allotted 18 percent of the grant towards administrative funds, which is the maximum allowed, with the other 82 percent of the grant split between economic development activities, the Jefferson Avenue Sanitary Sewer Project and the Adrian Furnace/Slab Furnace Waterline Interconnection.