Clinton announces $150 million U.S. aid for Egypt after Mubarak’s ouster
Washington, United States (AHN) – U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton on Thursday announced $150 million in aid for Egypt to help the African nation fight its economic problems after the ouster of its President Hosni Mubarak.
Clinton said that Egypt would be able to use this money through a democratic transition. “It’s very clear that there’s a great deal of work ahead to ensure an orderly, democratic transition,” Clinton said.
“It’s also clear that Egypt will be grappling with immediate and long-term economic challenges. The US is ready to provide assistance to Egypt to advance its efforts,” she added.
Notably, Egypt takes nearly $1.5 billion aid from the U.S. annually, mostly as military assistance.
U.S. Undersecretary of State William Burns and senior White House adviser David Lipton are due to travel Cairo next week to discuss how the money could be possibly used. They will also discuss the issues related to transition with the interim military government. “These funds will give us flexibility to respond to Egyptian needs moving forward,” Clinton said.
In a related development, The New York Times on Thursday claimed that President Barack Obama had asked his advisers in August last year to report about possible unrest in Arab countries.
The report apparently concluded that the region, even without major political changes, was ready for revolt.